Thursday, September 18, 2008

Me? A "Party" girl?


My loving husband does not support me getting a third job. No, I don't have a second job, but I'm searching as of now. And I have seriously thrown around the idea of a third because well, someone has to pay the bills around here. But D believes too many jobs is one of the reasons that led to his divorce, so he doesn't support me never being home in the name of making money. So what's a girl to do? I have 99% decided I'm going to start selling Scentsy as a not so obvious third job. I had thought of this before only because I wanted to get the product at a deep discount..haha. But now I'm really thinking of doing it as a source of a little extra income. I figure, almost everyone I know uses it, but no one I know has a consistent consultant they buy it from. It's my favorite thing, its a lot of peoples favorite thing..we all win. (If you don't know what it is, it's a variety of products that make your house smell fantastic, by melting scented wax in a cute warmer without wicks or flames.) So I went online last night to sign myself up and get the starter kit. I got to the page where you can download the consultant handbook and I started reading it. That was the moment I paused. It went on and on about doing Scentsy parties, how to handle them, what to say, how to approach people to sign up, etc etc. PARTIES? I've never even been to a Scentsy party. I've just bought the stuff out of a catalog because it pretty much sells itself. I don't really even know how a party is supposed to go, other than what I've now read in the handbook. Can I really be a product-hawking, stranger-friendly, weeknight-donating party girl? Could you really see ME up there in front of strangers talking about how awesome I am and telling them this product "Warms the Heart, Enlivens the Senses and Inspires the Soul"? I would be the girl to say "Hey, this makes my house smell, don't you want your house to smell too? Oh, I mean, smell good. Thanks for coming." I've been to a million different parties for a million different products and true, in the back of my mind, I always looked at the consultant and thought 'I could do that'. Now as it's actually a possibility in front of me, I'm saying 'There's no way in hell I can do that'. Well, you know me, I'm either up for a challenge or as dumb as they get, so I'm going to try. So here's my first plug... make your house smell and buy some Scentsy from me. :)


Kalie... I salute you.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

We have a scentsy burner. Maybe someday when we aren't poor we'll buy some new smells from you. You should put a link to you "consultant site" on your blog on the side. That would be fun.

Aubrie said...

Hmm Ive never heard of scentsy but ron and i like when our house smells yummy. we have a candle warmer but not a cute little thing to melt the wax in so there u go, you now have a client :o)

Daniel said...

You are funny honey

TomKat said...

So I've never used this scentsy stuff...but it sounds great.

I'll let you do a practice party at my apartment if you feel so inclined. I'm sure we could find people to come :)

KALIE said...

Aww shucks...I love you Elizabeth.
Let me congratulate you on the first step to promoting your business, getting the word out there. I noticed that most of the folks who commented on this blog haven't heard of scentsy before and are immediately intrigued and supportive. So without even really trying you're off to a great start. I would be more than happy to help you if you need it. You could even tag along with me to a party and take notes. (even though you've been to twenty of my parties) Or do you know any other scentsy distributors you could tag along with and learn from?
I realize candles and (cough) adult novelties products aren't too much alike but I want to help! AND YOU KNOW I WILL BUY FROM YOU! And this comment is getting way to long...so email or call me!

Erica said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! WOOT WOOT!! I'm gonna have my very own Scentsy Distributor!! This is a time for celebration! Drinks all around!

YEAH!!! Good luck with everything and you know I wanna book one of your first parties!! I wanna buy some right now...you got some order forms?

Becca and Billy said...

Let it be known I made the first purchase!