Saturday, January 5, 2008

Cafe Rio Recipe..kinda

On Thursday we had some family over to try out my new Cafe Rio wannabe recipe. Everything was great to me, except the dressing, which is what I was most excited for. It just didnt taste right. Thanks to everyone for telling me it was great though. I had a few people ask for the recipes, so here they are!

Rice:

4 cups water
4 cups Minute Rice
4 T. butter
4 chicken bouillon cubes
handful of chopped cilantro
1 tsp ground cumin

Stir everything in but the rice, when water boils stir rice in and take off heat til ready! Easy enough right? You can also add lime but I didnt have any the other ngiht so I didnt. :)

Dressing:

One packet hidden valley ranch mix
1 cup mayo
1 cup milk
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tomatillo
one bunch cilantro (or less depending on how much you like)
Cholula hot sauce to taste

Just throw everything in the blender and when blended, let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes. Easy. I used light mayo and skim milk which Daniel thinks is what made the differnece but I don't agree because I use those for everything and never taste a difference. The real reason I think mine was a little different is cause I doubled the recipe but forgot to get two bunches of cilantro so there was only one bunch for the doubled recipe.

So there. For the chicken we just cooked it in the wok with a packet of fajita mix, and the uncooked tortillas we got at Sams Club. Try it all out and let me know how your dressing tastes!

2 comments:

Gold-E said...

I don't know what you're talking about - I thought the dressing was great! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it out.

Nay said...

I've tried those recipes for a RS event - yummy! Just like the real thing. Love that cillantro dressing. Next summer, we'll do a repeat and use my garden cillantro. I have a ton of it!