Thursday, October 18, 2007

So much for minding my own business..

Its official. I was involved in my first car accident ever and yet I wasn't even involved. Let me explain. I was on my way home from a small concert at the Avalon on 3500 s. State Street, and had just pulled up to the red light at 3300 S. State Street. I was just sitting there, waiting for the light to turn green, minding my own business, when all of a sudden two cars traveling the other direction hit each other and both cars went spiraling and swerving out of control. Well one of those cars just happened to be swerving directly at me. It was 9:30 at night and raining and there were only two cars at the red light I was sitting at.. me and a car directly to my left. Suddenly, as this silver car is heading directly for me, it swerves and hit me on my drivers side, then hit the car to my left, stopping pinned between us. His drivers side window was RIGHT next to my window. I obviously can't open my door because there is a car in my way, but Mister I-failed-to-yield-and-caused-this-whole-mess keeps trying to open his which just keeps hitting my car. I roll down my window in the rain and yell at him to roll his down. He finally gets it figured out and I see him (now Mister I'm-the-whitest-and-skinniest-kid-to-have-ever-worn-a-wife-beater-in-public) and his nice lady friend sitting inside in a daze with all their airbags deployed and not knowing where they are. They are ok, I assess, then a cop pulls up and the fun begins. After sitting there for over an hour waiting for the emergency crews to untangle the cars, get Eminem and his girlfriend out on precautionary stretchers, and tow away the disabled cars, the only people left are me and my other innocent red light associate and a single cop car. We sit there for another hour or so just waiting for the cop to bring us back our licenses and insurance information. He finally did around midnight.
All in all, it sucked. Luckily, my car is drivable, and the damage is amazingly minimal. It was a little traumatizing at the time, but now Im just mad that I have to deal with insurance claims for an accident I should have just been and innocent bystander at. Im glad all the drivers and passengers are alive and well. Next time, Im turning right at that light.

3 comments:

Becca and Billy said...

i'm sorry friend! I'm glad you were safe!

Gold-E said...

That really stinks. Is this in your new car too? WHy couldn't you have been in the Nova?? Jackass!

TomKat said...

That sucks, I'm sorry! Your car is still pretty. But on a positive note...this blog made me laugh.